Sullivan Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Sullivan family crest
Argent (silver) - symbolizes the Sullivan family's sincere and peaceful nature.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of this ancient family
Gules (red) - signifies the Sullivan family's historic military strength in times of war.
Sable (black) - symbolises constancy and the enduring nature of this family.
Vert (green) - symbolizes family members loyalty in love and hope for the future.
Meaning of the symbols on the Sullivan family crest
The snake - represents wisdom and how family members have acquired wisdom through the centuries.
The two lions - represent ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
The deer - symbolizes a peaceful nature and people who will not fight unless provoked by another.
The bull - signifies valour and bravery alongside the giving nature of family members.
Click here to purchase the Sullivan family crest
Origins of the Sullivan family name
For a more detailed history, Click here to see our crest & history products
Summary of the Sullivan family and the Sullivan family crest
- Sullivan is an Irish name and it comes from the Irish Gaelic name Súileabhán, which means "dark-eyed one".
- The first recorded Sullivan family member in Ireland was a person by the name of Dermot O'Sullivan, who was granted lands in County Cork, Ireland by King Henry II of England in the late 12th century.
- The name was originally first used by the O'Sullivan clan in Ireland but used in the ancient Gaelic spelling.
- The clan was one of the most powerful and feared of all those in ancient Ireland.
- The clan were known for their strong warrior skills and ruthlessness in battle. They were often involved in bloody wars with regional families, and their reputation was such that other clans would often flee based on their reputation alone.
- The Sullivan clan was eventually defeated by the English in the 16th century, but their legacy as fierce warriors lives on in Irish folklore to this day.
- The O'Sullivan clan comes from the ancient Kings of Munster, region that still stands today.
- The Sullivan name in America can be traced back to the early 1600s as family members began to emigrate from Ireland to the New World in pursuit of prosperity.
- The family first settled in the current state of Massachusetts, but later moved to other parts of the country, including New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.
- The O'Sullivan clan has produced many famous people, including the poet and patriot Jeremiah O'Sullivan.
Regular price From $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $55.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per