Alexander family crest
Colors on the Alexander family crest explained
Argent (silver) - symbolizes the importance of the values of peacefulness and sincerity to the Alexander family.
Or (Gold) - represents the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Sable (black) - symbolizes constancy and the enduring nature of the Alexander family.
Symbols on the Alexander family crest explained
The star - symbolizes the noble and good qualities of Alexander family members, It also represents additional divine characteristics granted from a higher power.
The Chevron shape - symbolizes the historical Alexander family home, the importance of home for family members through the years and the safety this provides.
The crescent - represents Alexander family members steady control and power over everyday actions.
The harp - represents people of good judgement and composure. It's also a symbol of the heavens.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Alexander family name
The earliest known origin of the family name Alexander can be traced back to the 12th century in Scotland.
The name is derived from the Greek name Alexandros, which means "defender of men".
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Alexander family and the Alexander family crest
- The first recorded use of the name in Scotland was Alexander de Hamilton, who was a witness to a charter in 1165.
- The name Alexander became popular in Scotland after the marriage of Princess Margaret of Scotland to King Alexander III of Scotland in 1250.
- The popularity of the name continued into the 13th and 14th centuries, with the birth of several Scottish kings with the name Alexander.
- This noble family held lands in the area of modern day Perthshire.
- The family was involved in the Wars of Scottish Independence in the 14th century, and later became Earls of Stirling.
- The name was also popularized in history by the Greek king Alexander the Great.
- The name Alexander is also found in the English, German, and Dutch languages, but the Scottish Alexander family is the most well-known bearer of the name.
- The first Alexander in America was William Alexander, who emigrated from Scotland in 1685. He settled in what is now Staten Island, New York.
- His descendants spread throughout the South and the Midwest.
- The name was also common in America among Scottish and Irish immigrants in the 19th century.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per