Armstrong Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Armstrong family crest
Argent (silver) - Is a symbol of sincerity and peacefulness and represents the Armstrong family's reputation for such through history.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of the family when called upon
Meaning of the symbols on the Armstrong family crest
Three Arms in Armour - represents original family members history in positions of leadership, especially military ones during times of conflict.
The three uses of the arm in the Armstrong crest alongside the warrior color used is likely a symbol of the family's ancient waring past and success over others during battle.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Armstrong family name
The Armstrong name is of mixed origins, across Ireland, Scotland and England.
The earliest known origin of the name in England was first used as a last name by the in the 12th century.
It is thought to be derived from the Old English word for arm or strong arm.
In Scotland it has the same meaning and was found as a boarder name. There are also suggestions it is connected to the Gaelic name MacGrioghair.
The name Armstrong is also found in Ireland, where it is thought to have similar origins and may also be derived from the Gaelic Ó hAirmheadh, meaning "descendant of Airmheadh".
Airmheadh was a personal name meaning "eagle-minded" or "bold".
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Armstrong family and the Armstrong family crest
- The name Armstrong is derived from the Old English words for "strong" and "man".
- The first recorded use of the surname Armstrong in England was in the year 1175, when one William Armstrong held lands in Northumberland.
- Earlier In Scotland, the Armstrongs were a clan of Scottish warriors who were known for their skill in battle.
- It is thought that the first Armstrongs came to Ireland in the 16th century. The name is most common in the Ulster province, where the family settled.
- The Armstrong family is one of the oldest and most respected families in America.
- The first Armstrong to come to America was George Armstrong, who arrived in Virginia in 1635.
- The Armstrong family has been in America for over 375 years.
- The first Armstrong to settle in Canada was John Armstrong, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1773.
- The Armstrongs were among the early settlers of the American West, with members of the family settling in Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee.
- The Armstrongs have also been prominent in the military, with several members of the family serving in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War.
Regular price From $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD