Boyd family crest
Colors on the Boyd family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the attributes of peacefulness and sincerity. Two things very important to early Boyd family members.
Azure (blue) - represents the Boyd family's loyalty and truthful nature.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and historic military strength when called upon
Symbols on the Boyd family crest explained
The 'chequy' pattern - represents constancy and the enduring nature of this ancient family and its members.
The hand of benediction - a religious symbol representing the hold trinity. A symbol that has existed from very ancient times.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Boyd family name
Boyd is a name that has Scottish origins.
The name is derived from the Gaelic word "buidhe" which means "yellow" or "fair-haired".
It is believed that the first person to use the name Boyd was a chieftain named Boyd of the Clan Chattan.
The name Boyd has been used by many Scottish families over the centuries.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Boyd family and the Boyd family crest
- The name Boyd is of Scottish origin.
- The Boyd clan is one of the oldest and most powerful families in Scotland.
- The Boyd clan traces its roots back to the 11th century.
- The first Boyd officially on record is Simon O'Buidhe, who was a Scottish chieftain in the 12th century.
- The clan played a pivotal role in the Wars of Scottish Independence.
- The Boyds were strong supporters of Robert the Bruce and fought alongside him at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314.
- The Boyds were also loyal supporters of the Stuart monarchy and fought for Charles I during the English Civil War.
- The Boyds were one of the first families to be granted a coat of arms by King James VI of Scotland.
- The Boyd family is associated with the town of Kilmarnock in Ayrshire and it is from here that the first crest was assigned to Lord Boyd of Kilmarnock.
- The Boyd clan tartan is predominantly green and blue.
- The first Boyd in America was John Boyd, who arrived in Boston in 1652.
- Today, the Boyd family name is most common in the southern United States.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale