Burke Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Burke family crest
Argent (silver) - Signifies the positive reputation of the Burke family since the middle ages and represents sincerity and peace.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and historic military strength of the Burkes when called upon.
Or (Gold) - represents the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Meaning of the symbols on the Burke family crest
The Lion - represents ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
The cross on the shield represents the crucifixion of Christ and stands as a connection to the early family members strong religious beliefs.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Burke family name
The name Burke is considered Irish, English and Scottish in origin.
It can be considered derived from the Old French and German words "burc/burh" meaning "fortification".
It is thought to be of Norman origin and was first used as a surname in the 12th century.
The first recorded use of the name Burke was in the year 1166, when one William de Burc was registered in the "Liber Vitae Ecclesiae Dunelmensis" (the Book of Life of the Church of Durham England).
The name has however, been most popularly associated with Ireland since the middle ages.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Burke family and the Burke family crest
- The name Burke is found in Ireland, Scotland and England.
- The Burke family is of Norman descent.
- The very first recorded use of the Burke surname in England dates back to 1166.
- The Burke clan is one of the oldest and most powerful families in Ireland.
- In Ireland, the name is associated with County Clare, where the family were settled since the 12th century.
- The Burke family has also been associated with the city of Dublin in Ireland for centuries.
- The Scottish branch of the family were based in the Highlands, in the area of Inverness.
- The English branch of the family were settled in the West Midlands, in the area of Shropshire.
- The name Burke is also found in the United States, where it is thought to have been brought by Irish settlers in 1600s.
- The first Burke in America was William Burke, who arrived in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630. He was followed by his brother John Burke, who arrived in 1634.
- The name has been spelled a variety of ways over the years since coming to America, including Berk, Burk, and Bourk.
Regular price From $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD