Carter family crest
Colors on the Carter family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the sincere and peaceful nature of the earliest Carter family members.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Carter family when it was needed in ancient times.
Symbols on the Carter family crest explained
The Chevron shape - symbolizes the historical Carter family home, the importance of home for family members through the years and the safety this provides.
The three wheels - represents good fortune and the circular nature of life's cycle. It also represents the origin of the Carter's family name as described below.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Carter family name
The earliest known origin of the family name Carter is England.
The name is derived from the Old English word "carete" which means "wagon driver".
The first recorded use of the name was in the 12th century.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Carter family and the Carter family crest
- The Carters were a prominent family in England during the Middle Ages.
- The Carter family has been associated with the English royalty since the 12th century.
- The first recorded instance of the Carter family name dates back to 1166 in England.
- The Carter family has its roots in Normandy, France.
- The Carter family name was first officially recorded in the county of Essex, where it is believed they were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
- They held a number of titles and positions of power and influence.
- The family name Carter is also found in Scotland and Ireland.
- Over the centuries, the family name has also been spelled Carters, Carterson, and Carterson.
- Notable members of the Carter family include John Carter (16th century English courtier and diplomat), Sir Edward Carter (17th century English judge), and James Carter (18th century American statesman and signer of the Declaration of Independence).
- The Carter family name in America can be traced back to the early 1600s.
- The early Carter family in the New World arrived in the Virginia colony from England
- The Carter family was one of the first families to settle in the colony, and they quickly became a prominent family in the area.
- The Carter family name has been associated with Virginia ever since.
- The family quickly spread across the United States based on their hard work and strong reputation for reliability.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale