Chapman family crest
Colors on the Chapman family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the importance of the Chapman family values of peacefulness and sincerity.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Chapman family when needed in times of war.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of the Chapmans.
Symbols on the Chapman family crest explained
The three leopard heads - signifies valiance and a hardened warrior past. It represents those who approach challenges with courage.
The crescent - represents Chapman family members steady control and power over everyday actions.
The arrow pierced goat - symbolises wisdom and the successful pursuit of wisdom by Chapman family members.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Chapman family name
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Chapman family and the Chapman family crest
- The first recorded use of the name is from the 11th century, and it is thought to have originally been a nickname for someone who was known for being a successful business owner and trader.
- The noble Chapman family name was first found in Essex where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord.
- The family was granted its first lands for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
- The name is in face still found in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it is listed as a surname.
- While the Chapman family were originally from the county of Essex in England, they later moved to other parts of the country, including London and Lancashire.
- The Chapman family can today still be traced in part to the village of Chapman in Lincolnshire, England.
- It is also found in some parts of Scotland, Ireland and Wales.
- The first Chapman in America was William Chapman, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1634.
- William's son, John, was one of the first settlers of what is now Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
- John's son, Jabez, was a successful businessman and one of the founders of the town of Warren, Rhode Island.
- The Chapman family has been prominent in Rhode Island ever since and has successfully spread to many other parts of the United States based on their strong reputation of reliability and hard work.
Regular price From $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD