Collins Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Collins family crest
Or (Gold) - signifies the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Vert (green) - symbolizes Collins family members loyalty in love and hope for the future
Argent (silver) - represents the Collins family reputation for sincerity and peace since the middle ages.
Meaning of the symbols on the Collins family crest
The Griffin - this ancient symbol represents bravery and the death-defying nature of Collins family members through the ages.
It is a homage to the Collin's family reputation for immense strength in war and times of unrest.
Click here to purchase the Collins family crest
Origins of the Collins family name
There are two suspected places from which the name may come.
It may have been brought to the country by Norman settlers. The name is derived from the Latin word "collis", meaning "hill".
The second origin may be from the medieval Gaelic name 'Ua Cuilein', with Cuilein being a term of endearment meaning Darling'
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Collins family and the Collins family crest
- Collins is an ancient name from the medieval period that is most easily traced back to celtic Ireland.
- The family name can be officially traced consistently back to the early 12th century, but it is suspected that it emerged long before this.
- The name has been borne by many notable Irish figures, including writers, politicians, and several military leaders.
- The first officially recorded use of the Collins surname was in the middle of the 12th century.
- The first Collins family coat of arms was granted in 1297.
- The family was one of the original families of the Irish Plantation of Ulster in Ireland.
- The Collins family were also one of the fourteen families that participated in the 1641 Rebellion in Ireland.
- The Collins family were granted a baronetcy in 1661.
- The family name Collins came to America in 1630.
- The first person in America with the surname Collins in America was Capt. Francis Collins, who arrived in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630.
- Today, the name is still common in Ireland and the United States, thanks to the Irish diaspora that arrived there in the 1600's.
Regular price From $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD