Cook family crest
Colors on the Cook family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the values of peacefulness and sincerity, both of which the Cook family considered to be of great importance.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Cook family when needed in times of war.
Or (Gold) - signifies the historical generosity of the ancient Cook family.
Symbols on the Cook family crest explained
The two black lions - represents ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
The Chevron shape - symbolizes the historical Cook family home, the importance of home for family members through the years and the safety this provides.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Cook family name
The Cook family name is believed to have originated in the 11th century in England, from the Anglo-Saxon word "coc," meaning "cook."
The name was likely first used as a occupational name for someone who worked in a kitchen.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Cook family and the Cook family crest
- The Cook family name dates back to the early medieval period in England.
- The family name is found in records dating back to the 11th century in England.
- The name Cook is found in the Domesday Book of 1086.
- The name Cook was first introduced into England by the Normans during the time of William the Conquerer.
- One of William's knights was named Richard de Cogan, and some suspect the name may be partially descended from him.
- Once settled in England, the Cook family were originally from the county of Essex in England.
- The Cook family also settled in Suffolk for many centuries, and later branches of the family can be found in the counties of Norfolk and Cambridgeshire.
- Family members began to emigrate from England in the 17th century in search of good fortunes in the New World of the early United States.
- The Cooks were also among the first settlers in the state of Virginia, with John Cook arriving in 1607. The family was also among the earliest settlers in the state of New York, with George Cook arriving in 1640.
- The Cooks were famously one of the founding families of the city of Charleston, South Carolina with the name still associated with the area today.
Regular price From $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD