Cooper family crest
Colors on the Cooper family crest explained
Argent (silver) - symbolizes peacefulness and sincerity, two values that mattered most to the Coopers.
Gules (red) - represents martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Cooper family in war times.
Or (Gold) - represents the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Symbols on the Cooper family crest explained
The Chevron shape - symbolizes the historical Cooper family home, the importance of home for family members through the years and the safety this provides.
Ermine background pattern - represents purity and a mark of dignity and social standing.
The laurel wreath and leaves - in ancient times was used as a symbol of victory and achievement. In this case, likely symbolising early Cooper family members achievement in battle or service to others.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Cooper family name
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Cooper family and the Cooper family crest
- The name Cooper is derived from the Middle English word "couper", meaning "maker of barrels".
- The origin of the name is believed to have been Norman.
- The first recorded use of the name Cooper was in England in 1248.
- The first recording of a family member happened when a man named Robert le Coupere was recorded in the County of Essex.
- The Cooper family is one of the oldest families in America, with the first recorded Cooper ancestor arriving in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630.
- The Cooper family name was first found in County Durham, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say even before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
- The Cooper clan is also a Scottish clan, associated with the Scottish Borders region.
- The first Cooper family members in America are believed to have arrived in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in the 1630s.
- The Cooper name is particularly associated with the city of Philadelphia in the United States, where Benjamin Cooper founded the first bank in 1792.
- The Cooper family were also amongst the first settlers in Australia, arriving in Sydney in 1788.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $75.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD