Davidson Family Crest
Colors on the Davidson family crest explained
Argent (silver) - is a symbol of peace and sincerity, two attributes the Davidsons were known for in ancient times.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and historic military strength of the Davidsons if needed in times of war.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Symbols on the Davidson family crest explained
The stag - symbolizes people of a peaceful and harmonious nature. Those who will not fight unless provoked.
This is a symbol representing the prosperous and welcoming nature of the early Davidsons.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Davidson family name
The Davidson name is of English, Scottish and Irish origin.
Its simple translation means 'son of David', representing its earliest use as a reference to one's father.
The name David in turn an Old English name, which itself derives from the Hebrew name דָּוִד (Dāwīḏ). This name was borne by the Biblical figure David, who was the second king of Israel.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Davidson family and the Davidson family crest
- The name Davidson first appears in Scotland in the 12th century, and it is thought to be of Norman French origin.
- The Davidsons are a clan of the Scottish Lowlands.
- The Davidsons were supporters of Robert the Bruce and fought at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314.
- The clan crest is a stag representing peacefulness.
- The clan tartan is the Davidson of Tullibardine tartan.
- The first recorded bearer of the name was William de Davidsoun, who was a witness to a charter in the county of Lanark in 1165.
- The name Davidson is also found in England, where it is thought to have been introduced by the Normans where Simon de Dauidestone, who was recorded in the pipe rolls of Gloucestershire in 1176.
- A little later, the name Davidson was also found in Ireland, where it is thought to have been introduced by the Anglo-Normans in the 12th century.
- The first recorded bearer of the name in Ireland was Maurice de Davyndon, who was recorded in the escheat rolls of Dublin in 1226.
- The Davidson family name in America can be traced back to colonial times.
- The first Davidson in America was probably William Davidson, who arrived in Virginia in 1635.
- The Davidsons were also among the early settlers in the colonies of New England and Maryland.
- In the 18th century, some Davidsons migrated to the Carolinas and Georgia.
- During the American Revolution, several Davidsons served in the Continental Army.
- By the 19th century, the Davidson family name was among the many Scottish and Irish names that were becoming popular in the wider United States.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USD
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD