Davis Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Davis family crest
Argent (silver) - represents the peaceful nature and sincerity of Davis family members and their peaceful nature during normal times.
Gules (red) - Represents the ancient military strength of the Davis family in times of war and their fearsome skills in battle.
Meaning of the symbols on the Davis family crest
The Lion - symbolizes the ferocious nature of family members, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
The diagonal bend in the shield typically represents an ancient family member who distinguished themselves in military service, likely as a successful commander of forces.
Click here to purchase the Davis family crest
Origins of the Davis family name
There are multiple sources for the original founding of the Davis name. All of which come from the British Isles during medieval times.
The Davis family name is likely of English or Welsh origin. The name may have originally been derived from the given name David, meaning "beloved" or "friend."
Alternatively, records suggest it also may have become established as a habitational name, derived from any of the numerous places named Davis or Davy.
The Davis family name has been found in records dating back to the 12th century.
For a more detailed history, Click here to see our crest & history products
Summary of the Davis family and the Davis family crest
- The Davis family name is originally from England, and comes from the first name David.
- The name is one of the oldest in England, having been in use since around the 12th century.
- The Davis name has been represented in England's parliament since the 14th century.
- The name is also associated with the American Civil War, as Confederate President Jefferson Davis was a member of the family.
- Some family members were among the first settlers in the earliest of the American colonies
- Davis family members were known to have fought prominently in the American Revolution
- The family helped found the state of Kentucky
- The name is also associated with the American West, as frontiersman Davy Crockett has associations with the family.
- Today, the Davis family name is most commonly found in the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, as well as in its origin country of England.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale