Doyle Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Doyle family crest
Azure (blue) - represents the Doyle family's loyalty and truthful nature.
Argent (silver) - signifies sincerity and peace.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Meaning of the symbols on the Doyle family crest
The three stag heads - symbolizes how the Doyles are people of a peaceful and harmonious nature. Those who will not fight unless provoked.
Vair' pattern in blue and gold here - symbolizes the furs often worn by high born subjects and royalty in ancient times, with a likely connection to the preferred clothing of early family members.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Doyle family name
The earliest known origin of the name Doyle in Ireland is from the 11th century. The name was originally spelled as "duile" or "dúile" in Old Irish, which meant "blackthorn" or "dark-haired one".
The name was later anglicized to "Doyle" during the British occupation of Ireland. While it is commonly thought the name is derived from the Old Irish word "dubh", meaning "dark" or "black".
It also has ties with the corruption of the Gaelic word "Ó Dubhghaill", meaning " descendant of Dubhghall", which in turn would be a descendant of someone once considered a 'dark stranger'.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Doyle family and the Doyle family crest
- The Doyle family name is of Irish origin.
- The name is derived from the Gaelic "O'Dubhghail" meaning "dark stranger".
- The first recorded use of the name was in 1170.
- The Doyle family were originally from County Wicklow in Ireland.
- The family were involved in the Rebellion of 1641.
- The Doyles moved to County Mayo in Ireland.
- They were also involved in the Irish Rebellion of 1798.
- The Doyle surname is most commonly found in County Wicklow and County Wexford in Ireland. However, the name is also found in other parts of Ireland, as well as in England, Scotland, Wales, and the United States.
- The earliest Doyle family in America is believed to have come from Ireland in the late 1600s.
- The first Doyles in America settled in the area today know as Massachusetts.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per