Ellis family crest
Colors on the Ellis family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents peacefulness and sincerity. Two characteristics the Ellis family was known for.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Sable (black) - symbolises constancy and the enduring nature of the Ellis family.
Symbols on the Ellis family crest explained
The five crescents - represent Ellis family members steady control and power over everyday actions.
The cross on the shield - represents the crucifixion of Christ and stands as a connection to the early Ellis family members strong religious beliefs.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Ellis family name
The earliest known origin of the family name Ellis is from the given name Elias.
Elias was a common name in medieval England and the surname Ellis is derived from it.
Elias is a Hebrew name meaning "Yahweh is my God" or "God is my salvation".
The name was popular among Christians in the Middle Ages because it was the name of a key figure in the Old Testament.
Ellis is also a Welsh name meaning "benevolent" or "kind".
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Ellis family and the Ellis family crest
- Ellis is a patronymic name, meaning "son of Elias/Elijah."
- The name Ellis has been found in records as early as the 12th century.
- The family has its roots in medieval England and Wales.
- The Ellis family name is thought to have derived from the given name Elias, which in turn came from the Hebrew name Elijah.
- The first recorded use of the Ellis surname in England is thought to be in 1273, when one Richard Elias was listed in the Hundred Rolls of Berkshire.
- The family was originally from the county of Berkshire in England.
- The Ellis family was granted a baronetcy in 1660 by King Charles II.
- The family has also been associated with the British Royal Family, as Lady Diana Spencer, the late Princess of Wales, was a direct descendant of the family.
- Ellis family members in America can trace their roots back to the 1600s, when the first Ellis immigrants arrived from England.
- The first recorded use of the Ellis surname in America was in 1634, when William Ellis arrived in Virginia.
- The Ellis family quickly spread across the United States both on both the East coast and West due to their hard work ethic and positive reputation.
- Today the name remains popular in all parts of the US.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per