Gomez family crest
Colors on the Gomez family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the Gomez family reputation for peacefulness and sincerity.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Azure (blue) - represents the Gomez family's loyalty and truthful nature.
Symbols on the Gomez family crest explained
The five Fleur-de-lis - represents purity, light and religious connections including connections of the Virgin Mary. A connection to the family's early religious associations.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Gomez family name
The earliest known origin of the family name Gomez is from Spain.
The name is thought to be derived from the Visigothic personal name Gomila, which was a popular name among the Visigoths who ruled Spain from the 5th to the 8th centuries.
The name can translate basically from 'guma' meaning 'man' and 'gome', meaning 'son of'.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Gomez family and the Gomez family crest
- The Gomez name is derived from the given name Gomes, which is a Spanish form of the Latin name Gomarus.
- The Gomez name is Visigothic in nauture and comes from Spain.
- The Visigoths were a Germanic people who migrated to Spain from the Balkans in the 4th century.
- They were the first Germanic people to settle in Spain and their kingdom was the first Germanic kingdom on the Iberian Peninsula. The name Gomez is first found in Spanish records in the 11th century.
- The name was commonly first found in the region of Castile, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
- The first recorded instance of the name was in 1230, when a man named Pedro Gomez was living in the city of Burgos.
- However, the given name Gomez was used much more commonly and recorded more widely in Spain long before this.
- The first recorded mention of the given name Gomez was in the year 987, when Gomez Diaz de Vivar, a Galician nobleman, was recorded as living in the city of León.
- Gomez family members began to emigrate across the Atlantic during the 17th century in search of prosperity and opportunity.
- One of the first recorded Gomez family members in America was Francisco Gomez, who arrived in New Mexico in 1693.
- Francisco's son, Antonio, was born in New Mexico in 1710.
- The Gomez name quickly spread throughout America and today, all Gomez family members can proudly share their ancestry with the ancient Gomez family of medieval Spain.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $75.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD