Grant family crest
Colors on the Grant family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the sincere and peaceful nature of the Grant family.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Gules (red) - signifies martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Grant family when called upon in times of war.
Symbols on the Grant family crest explained
The three crowns - signifies authority either in relation to royalty or seniority in social standings in ancient times.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Grant family name
The name Grant is of French, English and Scottish origin, but was also popular in Ireland.
The earliest known origin of the name Grant is from the Old French word "grant", meaning "great" or "large".
This was likely a nickname given to someone who was tall or had a large build.
Over time, the name became associated with characteristics such as strength, generosity, and courage
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Grant family and the Grant family crest
- The earliest known origin of the family name Grant is from the Old French word "grant", which means "great" or "large".
- The first recorded use of this name was in England in the 11th century, when it was used to describe a person who was tall or had a large build.
- The name is as such believed to be of Norman origin.
- Over time, the name began to be used as a surname by families of English, Scottish or French descent.
- The Grants were a prominent family in England during the medieval period. They held titles and land in several counties.
- In Scotland, the chief of the Grant clan was once known as the "Wolf of Badenoch" due to his fierce reputation.
- The Grants supported Robert the Bruce in the Wars of Scottish Independence and fought at the Battle of Bannockburn.
- The Grants were involved in many notorious feuds with other Highland clans, such as the MacDonalds and the Campbells.
- The first recorded instance of the Grant family name in America is of one Mathew Grant, who emigrated from Scotland to Massachusetts in 1630.
- The Grant name quickly spread throughout the United States as more Grants arrived from Scotland, England and Ireland throughout the 17th and 18th centuries.
- The most famous family member was perhaps Ulysses S. Grant, who served as 18th president of the United States.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per