Griffith family crest
Colors on the Griffith family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the values of peacefulness and sincerity, both of which the Griffith family considered of great importance.
Or (Gold) - represents the historical generosity of the ancient Griffith family.
Symbols on the Griffith family crest explained
The Griffin - represents bravery and the death-defying nature of ancient Griffith family members. Relating also to their success in significant battles.
The Griffin is also an emblem with close ties to Wales where the family is from.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Griffith family name
The earliest known origin of the family name Griffith is from the 12th century in Wales.
Griffith is a patronymic name, meaning "son of Griffith', which in turn comes from the Welsh word 'Gruffud'.
The full translation is, 'son of the strong leader'.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Griffith family and the Griffith family crest
The name was first found in the county of Monmouthshire, where the family has been found since the early Middle Ages.
- Some records suggest the family settled in Wales well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
- The Griffith family was one of the first families to settle in Wales, and their name has been associated with the country ever since.
- The Griffiths have played an important role in Welsh history, and their name is still one of the most common in Wales today.
- The name has strong connections to nobility since the middle ages, most notably with Llywelyn ap Griffith being Prince of Wales from 1258-1282.
- As a given name its also seen noble representation with Griffith ap Rhys who was a Welsh nobleman who lived in the 13th century.
- The Griffith family continued to be one of the most prominent families in Wales during the 15th and 16th centuries.
Griffith name in America
The Griffith family name in America can be traced back to the early 1600s, when Griffith was first introduced as a given name in the New World.
The first Griffith to settle in America was Griffith Jones, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1630.
Jones was a Puritan minister who helped to establish the first Baptist church in America. He was also the first person to use the name Griffith in America.
The Griffith family name continued to be used throughout the 1600s and 1700s, and by the early 1800s, there were several hundred Griffiths living in America.
Today, the Griffith family name is most common in the southeastern United States.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $75.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD