Hall Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Hall family crest
Argent (silver) - represents peace and sincerity, virtues of the Hall family.
Sable (black) - symbolises constancy and the enduring nature of this family.
Meaning of the symbols on the Hall family crest
Three dog's heads - Symnbolizes endless courage and the loyal nature of members of the Hall family.
The Chevron shape - symbolizes the historical family home, the importance of home for Hall family members through the years and the safety this provides.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Hall family name
The Hall family name is derived from the Old English word "hall", meaning "house" or "dwelling".
The first recorded use of the name was in the 12th century, when William de Hall was listed in the Pipe Rolls of Yorkshire.
The Halls were a prominent family in Yorkshire for many centuries, and held the manor of Hall in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Hall family and the Hall family crest
- The family name Hall is derived from the Old English word "hall", meaning "house" or "dwelling".
- The Halls are an old and distinguished family, with a long and rich history.
- The Hall family became prominent in English society during the 14th and 15th centuries.
- Members of the Hall family held high positions in the Church and government, and several members were knighted for their service to the crown.
- The Hall surname is also common in Ireland, where it is believed to be of Norman origin. The Irish Hall families were primarily located in the provinces of Ulster and Munster.
- In Scotland, the Hall name is associated with the Clan MacFarlane, and is thought to be derived from the Gaelic word "hallt", meaning "rocky place".
- The first Halls in America were thought to have been English Puritans who settled in Massachusetts in the 1600s.
- The first Hall family member recorded in America was Harry Hall, born in 1585 in England.
- Hall family members were among the early settlers of Virginia and Maryland.
- Today, the Hall family name is most common in the United States, but they can also be found in Canada and Australia.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale