Harris Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Harris family crest
Argent (silver) - represents the Harris family reputation for sincerity and peace since the middle ages.
Azure (blue) - signifies this ancient family's truthfulness and loyalty.
Or (Gold) symbolizes the historical generosity of family members.
Meaning of the symbols on the Harris family crest
The hedgehog - known as an 'urcheon' in the art of family crests, signifies the thoughtful nature of Harris family members.
The Chevron shape - symbolizes the historical Harris family home, the importance of home for family members through the years and the safety this provides.
Ermine background pattern - represents purity and a willingness to die rather than soil the family name.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Harris family name
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Harris family and the Harris family crest
- The Harris family name is of English origin.
- The Harris family name was first found in Norfolk, where they held a family seat from very early times.
- The Harris family name may also be partially derived from the personal name Harry, which can be considered a pet name for Henry. So in some instances there can be a connection to the 'son of' Henry or Harris in middle England.
- The Harris family name has been found in the New World in the early colonial era.
- The Allen family name in America can be traced back to the early 1600s, when a man named John Allen arrived in the colony of Virginia.
- The first Allens in America would go on to settle in several different states, including Maryland, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
- The Allens were a prominent family in the colonial era, and many of their members served in the military and in government. The family name continues to be common in the United States today, all of who can trace their heritage back to middle England.
- The Harris name is also found in Scotland, where it is thought to have been introduced by the Normans. The first recorded use of the name in Scotland was in the eleventh century.
- The Harris family name is also found in Ireland. The name is thought to have been introduced to Ireland by the Anglo-Normans during the twelfth century. The first recorded use of the name in Ireland was in the year 1172.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $75.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD