Hart family crest
Colors on the Hart family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the peaceful and sincere nature of the Hart family and the importance they placed on these values.
Azure (blue) - represents the Hart family's loyal and truthful nature.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Hart family.
Symbols on the Hart family crest explained
The three stags - symbolizes the Hart family being people of a peaceful and harmonious nature. Those who will not fight unless provoked.
As described below, the symbol also represents the translation of the family name.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Hart family name
The earliest known origin of the family name Hart is from the Old English word hēahheort, which means "stag".
The name was originally used to describe someone who was brave and strong like a stag, and over time it became a family name.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Hart family and the Hart family crest
- The first recorded use of the Hart surname dates back to England in the 12th century.
- The Harts are an old Anglo-Saxon family who settled in the British Isles in the early Middle Ages.
- Early official records of the name mention 'Simon atte Heorte', who was recorded in the Pipe Rolls of Berkshire in 1230.
- Many of the early Hart family originally settled in the county of Berkshire in England.
- It is thought that the first Hart family were forest keepers.
- The family name among nobility was first found in Yorkshire.
- The Harts were first granted lands in that county by King William the Conqueror.
- In the 14th century, the family acquired the manor of Hartley, in the north of the county, and this became their official noble seat.
- The family remained in Yorkshire until the 18th century, when they relocated to London.
Hart name in America
The Hart family name was first found in America in the year 1630, when Edward Hart settled in Salem, Massachusetts.
Edward was born in England in 1610 and came to America with his wife and two young sons.
The family prospered in America, and Edward's son John eventually became a wealthy landowner and one of the leading citizens of Salem.
John Hart's grandson, Timothy, was a colonel in the Continental Army during the American Revolution. The Hart family has continued to play an important role in American history, and many members of the family have been prominent in politics, business, and the arts.
Today, all Hart family members can still trace their roots back to ancient England.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale