Howard Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Howard family crest
Argent (silver) - represents the peaceful and sincere nature of the Howard family.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Howard family when needed in times of war.
Meaning of the symbols on the Howard family crest
The two lions - represents ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
The crosses - symbolizes Christ's rise from the dead to claim victory over sin. A connection to the family's early religious associations.
The diagonal bands - known as a 'bend' represents early family members who were distinguished military leaders. It symbolizes protection and family honour.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Howard family name
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Howard family and the Howard family crest
- The Howard family has a long and illustrious history. They were one of the most powerful families in England during the Middle Ages and were related to the royal House of Plantagenet.
- The original Howard family was of Norman descent.
- The first recorded use of the name was in the Domesday Book in 1086, which listed a William Howard as holding lands in the county of Essex.
- The Howard family rose to prominence in England during the late 12th and early 13th centuries.
- The family produced several Earls of Surrey and Norfolk, and were also related to the royal House of Plantagenet.
- The family has produced a number of other prominent figures in English history, including two English queens, Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and a number of statesmen and military leaders.
- The Howards eventually fell out of favor with the English crown and were exiled to Ireland in the 17th century where the name also existed several centuries before.
- While the English Howards associated with the Royal family were exiled to Ireland, over the centuries, the family prospered and became one of the most powerful families in Ireland. They held extensive lands and were responsible for the construction of many castles and churches in the area.
- The Howard family name in America can be traced back to colonial times, when James Howard arrived in Virginia from England in 1620.
- Since then, the Howard family name has been associated with prominent figures in American history, including presidents, senators, and military leaders.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per