Jackson Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Jackson family crest
Argent (silver) - is a symbol of peacefulness and sincerity and represents the Jackson family's reputation for such.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and historic military strength of the Jackson family in times of war.
Meaning of the symbols on the Jackson family crest
The lion - represents ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
The three axes - represents early family members military authority and execution of their military responsibilities.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Jackson family name
The earliest known origin of the name Jackson is from the 12th century.
It is believed to be of Old English or Scottish origin, and is a derivative of the name John with the simple meaning being a reference to someone's son i.e 'Jack/John's son'.
The name John was originally derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yohanan), which means "Yahweh is gracious".
The name Jackson is also found in the English and Scottish surname Jaxon.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Jackson family and the Jackson family crest
- The Jackson family name was first established in the 12th century in England.
- The first officially recorded Jackson is William Jackson who was listed in the 1273 Hundred Rolls of Oxfordshire.
- The Jackson name is derived from the personal name Jack, which was a medieval diminutive of John.
- Today, Jackson is the 37th most common surname in the United Kingdom.
- While the Jackson family name is mostly of English origin, the family is also commonly found in Ireland and Scotland.
- In Ireland, the Jackson family were one of the "Tribes of Galway".
- The Jackson family were landowners in County Galway and were also associated with the famous Irish town of Athenry.
- The Jackson family name was first used in America in the 1600s.
- The first Jackson in America was John Jackson, who emigrated from England to Massachusetts in 1633.
- The Jackson family has produced a number of notable individuals, including President Andrew Jackson.
- Today, Jackson is still a relatively popular surname in the United States, where it ranks as the 45th most common surname.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale