Jones Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Jones family crest
Azure (blue) - represents the Jones family reputation for truthfulness and loyalty.
Sable (black) - symbolises constancy and the enduring nature of this family.
Argent (silver) - signifies sincerity and peace.
Meaning of the symbols on the Jones family crest
The Lion - represents ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
Droplets - symbolizes early family members who have endured spilling of blood in battle.
Click here to purchase the Jones family crest
Origins of the Jones family name
The Jones surname is thought to have originated in Wales, with the first known use of the name being in the 11th century.
There are several possible origins for the name, including Welsh and English versions.
The Welsh version is thought to come from the personal name John, while the English version is believed to come at least in part from the word "jone," meaning "male descendant."
It is also possible that the name Jones is a patronymic form of the name Jonah.
For a more detailed history, Click here to see our crest & history products
Summary of the Jones family and the Jones family crest
- The Jones family can trace their origins back to a county by the name of Meirionydd in Wales.
- The first recorded Jones who was officially documented (although others likely existed earlier) was one Elystan Glodrydd Jones who lived in the 11th century..
- The Jones family were minor nobility in Wales, with their main seat being at a place called 'Tynycoed Uchaf in Meirionydd'.
- The Jones family supported the Welsh rebellion against the English in 1294, led by Madog ab Owain Glyndwr.
- The Jones family were also supporters of Owain Glyndwr during his uprising in the early 15th century.
- During the English Civil War, the Jones family supported the Royalist cause.
The family later moved to Ireland, where they settled in County Cork..
- The family has produced a number of notable individuals, including Sir John Jones, a judge who served as Chief Justice of the Irish Common Pleas, and Sir William Jones, an orientalist and philologist.
- The Jones family has also produced a number of politicians, including David Rowland Jones, who served as a member of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom, and Sir Thomas Jones, who was a member of the English House of Lords.
- The family is also believed to have been descended from the famous Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas.
- The Jones family is today still considered one of the oldest and most prominent families in Wales.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USD
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD