McCarthy Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the McCarthy family crest
Argent (silver) - represents the McCarthy reputation for peacefulness and sincerity.
Gules (red) - signifies martyrdom and the family's historic military strength when called upon in times of war.
Meaning of the symbols on the McCarthy family crest
The deer - symbolizes a peaceful nature and people who will not fight unless provoked by another.
The lizard - represents wisdom and the successful pursuit of wisdom by this ancient family.
Click here to purchase the McCarthy family crest
Origins of the McCarthy family name
Cárthach was a 7th-century Irish chieftain who was descended from the Kings of
of the modern region of Munster.
The McCarthy clan was one of the most powerful and influential families in ancient Ireland.
The McCarthy name has been associated with the island of Ireland for hundreds of years, and the name today is still one of the most common surnames in the country.
For a more detailed history, Click here to see our crest & history products
Summary of the McCarthy family and the McCarthy family crest
- The McCarthy family and its original ancient clan is one of the oldest and most prolific families in Ireland with an incredible history dating back over 1,000 years to ancient Ireland.
- The original clan's name comes from the Gaelic words of Mac Carthaigh on the Emerald Isle, meaning son of 'Carthach".
- The clan's home land was originally located in modern day County Cork in the southern part of Ireland.
- The clan's fortunes dropped in the 12th century when they aligned with the powerful Fitzgerald family in Ireand and got land in what was known as the Kingdom of Desmond.
- The McCarthy clan played a pivotal role in the Desmond Rebellions in the late 16th century, which resulted in their territory being confiscated by the English government.
- The head of the clan at the time was a noted rebel leader and was executed by the English government.
- The clan's territory grew again during the early part of the 1700s in Ireland and their power and influence continued to grow.
- The family was involved in the Irish Rebellion of 1803 and several other wars.
- The family surname first began to be used in America in the late 1600s, when Irish immigrants began arriving in large numbers.
- The majority of these immigrants were from the southern counties of Ireland, where the McCarthy clan was based.
- Many of the early family immigrants settled in the New England states, where the surname is still common today.
Regular price From $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD