McCoy family crest
Colors on the McCoy family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the values of peacefulness and sincerity, both of which were hugely important to the McCoy family.
Sable (black) - symbolizes constancy and the enduring nature of this family.
Symbols on the McCoy family crest explained
The six black martlet birds - represent speed, swiftness and McCoy family members quick ability to act when needed.
The horizontal bars across the shield signifies how the McCoys are people who uphold the highest standards of religion and honor.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the McCoy family name
The earliest known origin of the family name McCoy is Irish and also Scottish.
The name is derived from the Gaelic Mac Aodh, which means "son of Aodh".
Aodh was a popular Celtic god that translated loosely to 'god of fire'.
The name was often given to boys born around the time of the festival of Samhain in the autumn time.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the McCoy family and the McCoy family crest
- The McCoy family name is of Scottish and Irish origin.
- The family can be traced back to County Mayo in ancient Ireland since before the 11th century.
- The McCoy clan is part of the Irish Septs system and is associated with the O'Connors sept.
- The clan played a significant role in the history of Mayo which saw the McCoys involved in many wars and battles in medieval and middle age Ireland.
- In the 16th century, the McCoys supported the O'Neill clan in their rebellion against the English Crown.
- After the rebellion was crushed, the family was dispossessed of their lands and many of them were forced to flee to County Tyrone.
- The McCoy clan continued to be a prominent force in Tyrone, participating again in the Nine Years' War and the Rebellion of 1641.
- The clan was dispossessed of their lands once more in the 17th century by the English crown.
- The McCoy family then began emigrating from Ireland in the 17th century and was one of the first families to settle in the Americas, arriving in the early 1600s.
The family settled in Virgina before moving westwards in the centruries that followed.
- The family fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812 and the Civil War and were fundamental in participating in the founding of the United States.
- Today, all McCoys can still proudly trace their ancestors back to medieval Ireland.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per