McGregor family crest
Colors on the McGregor family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents peacefulness and sincerity, two attributes the McGregors were known for in ancient times.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Vert (green) - signifies McGregor family members loyalty in love and hope for the future.
Gules (red) - represents martyrdom and historic military strength of the McGregors when called upon in times of war.
Symbols on the McGregor family crest explained
The oak tree - signifies a long lasting age of the McGregor family and their enduring strength.
The sword - represents military honor and the importance of pursuing honor for the McGregor family.
The crown - signifies the McGregor's authority in relation to societal standing and military ranking.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the McGregor family name
The McGregor name is of Scottish origin but also has some ties to Ireland through Gaelic clan movement in ancient times.
The earliest known origin of the family name McGregor is from the Scottish Gaelic clan MacGregor.
The clan's origins are thought to be descended from the 11th-century Scottish king Gregor mac Fergus.
The clan's name is derived from the Gaelic word for "son of the wolf."
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the McGregor family and the McGregor family crest
- The first official recorded use of the surname in English spelling was in the 11th century, but it is known to have existed long before then in Gaelic.
- The McGregor clan has a long and rich history dating back to the early Middle Ages.
- The McGregor clan is one of the oldest and most powerful clans in Scotland, with some family members moving to Ireland in the early middle ages.
- The clan's territory was originally in the Scottish Highlands but eventually spread to the lowlands and islands.
- The McGregors were known for their fierce loyalty and fighting spirit.
- They were involved in many clan battles and feuds over the centuries.
- The McGregor clan was involved in many bloody feuds with other clans, and its members were often outlawed.
- In the early 18th century, the clan was nearly wiped out by government forces in an attempt to quell the clan's violent tendencies.
- The clan chief, Rob Roy McGregor, was killed in battle in 1734, and the clan's power was greatly reduced. However, the McGregor clan remained a force to be reckoned with in the Highlands, and its members continued to fight for their independence.
- The McGregor family name was first found in America in 1630, when John McGregor arrived in Massachusetts.
- John McGregor was an early settler in the colony of Massachusetts and his descendants can today be found in many parts of the United States, all of whom share ancestry with the ancient clan of Scotland.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $75.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD