McGuire family crest
Colors on the McGuire family crest explained
Argent (silver) - is a symbol of peace and sincerity. Two values that were incredibly important to the McGuire family.
Vert (green) - symbolizes family members loyalty in love and hope for the future
Symbols on the McGuire family crest explained
The knight on horseback - the iconic symbol of the McGuire family. This represents the body being guided by the human soul and a person's journey through life.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the McGuire family name
The earliest known origin of the family name McGuire is Ireland.
The name is derived from the Irish Mag Uidhir, which means "son of Odhar." Which translates to 'son of the dark one', representing someone with family of dark features or hair.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the McGuire family and the McGuire family crest
- The McGuires have been present in Ireland since the 13th century.
- The family were a powerful Irish clan who controlled a large area of present-day County Fermanagh.
- They were involved in many battles against the English, and their stronghold was finally taken by the English in 1607.
- Many of the Maguires emigrated to other parts of the world, including the United States, where the name is now popular.
- The McGuires were a sept of the O'Neill clan, and were located in County Fermanagh in the province of Ulster.
- The McGuires were active in Irish politics from the 13th century onwards, and held a number of positions of power within the O'Neill clan.
- In the 17th century, the McGuires supported the Catholic King James II in his attempt to regain the English throne.
- This led to their involvement in the Irish Rebellion of 1641, and the subsequent Irish Confederate Wars.
- The McGuires were defeated in the wars, and their lands were confiscated by the English government.
- Many of the McGuires emigrated to other parts of Ireland, or to other countries, such as the United States, where they established the McGuire clan.
- The family name is first found in the United States in the state of Massachusetts in the 18th century.
- By the late 18th century, the family had begun settling in Pennsylvania and Maryland and soon spread across the country.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale