McMahon Family Crest
Colors on the McMahon family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the McMahon's reputation for peacefulness and sincerity.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and historic military strength of the McMahon family when called upon.
Symbols on the McMahon family crest explained
The three lions - represents ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
These symbols are an iconic connection to the fearsome reputation of the McMahon's in battle.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the McMahon family name
The McMahon surname is of Irish origin and comes from the Gaelic Mac Mathghamhna, which means "son of the bear."
The McMahon clan is one of the oldest and most powerful families in Ireland, and their name can be found in records dating back to the 13th century.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the McMahon family and the McMahon family crest
- McMahon is an Irish surname, derived from the Gaelic Mac Mathghamhna, meaning "son of the bear."
- The name was adopted by two different septs in ancient Ireland, meaning there were two different McMahon families before eventually becoming one larger one through name.
- The name was first found in County Mayo, in the west of Ireland.
- The McMahon clan was one of the "Tribes of Galway."
- The McMahons were a powerful and wealthy family in the 16th and 17th centuries.
- They built a number of castles, including Craggaunowen Castle in County Clare.
- The McMahons supported the Catholic cause during the Irish Rebellion of 1641.
- The McMahons in the North of the country were a prominent family in Ulster, and their territory included the present-day counties of Tyrone and Fermanagh.
- The McMahons were also one of the few families to successfully resist the English conquest of Ireland in the 16th century.
- They were also involved in the Jacobite Rising of 1689.
- The McMahons remained a powerful force in Ulster until the 18th century, when their territory was finally annexed by the British Crown.
- The McMahon name is also found in Scotland, where it is spelled MacMahon or MacMahan.
- The McMahon family was one of the earliest families to settle in the New World, and the name is found in the records of the earliest European settlements in America.
- They settled in the northeastern states in the early 1600s, where many Irish immigrants were concentrated at that time before venturing across America in the centuries that followed as they helped to build the country that would become the United States.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale