Montgomery Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Montgomery family crest
Argent (silver) - represents peace and sincerity, virtues of the Montgomery family.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of this family when called upon
Or (Gold) - signifies the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Meaning of the symbols on the Montgomery family crest
The three Fleur-de-lis - represents purity, light and religious connections including connections of the Virgin Mary.
The two spears - are a symbol of ancient knighthood and represents the honor of early family members.
The three roundels (circular shapes), are believed to be a symbol from the times of the crusade and represents the Montgomery family's belief in justice.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Montgomery family name
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Montgomery family and the Montgomery family crest
- In Scotland, The Montgomery family name is derived from the Gaelic word "Mongomery", meaning "mountain of the bogs".
- The name first appears in William the Conqueror's Doomsday Book of 1086, as Montgomeri.
- The first recorded Montgomery in Scotland was Roger de Montgomery, who was granted lands in Dumfries by King William I of Scotland in the 11th century.
- The Montgomery family name comes from the Scottish Clan Munro.
- The Montgomery family were supporters of Robert the Bruce during the Scottish Wars of Independence in the 14th century.
- The Montgomery family were granted the barony of Eglinton in Ayrshire by King Robert III of Scotland in the 14th century.
- The name Montgomery may also can be in part derived from the Old French montgomery, meaning "garrison town", which was used to describe a town that was used as a base for military operations.
- In America, one of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants was John Montgomery, who arrived in Georgia in 1733.
- One of the other first recorded bearers of the name in America was Richard Montgomery (1738-1775), an Irish-born soldier who served in the British Army during the Seven Years' War (1756-1763) and later led colonial troops in the American Revolutionary War.
Regular price From $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $55.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per