Morris Family Crest
Colors on the Morris family crest explained
Argent (silver) -represents the values of sincerity and peacefulness which the Morris family is known for.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Sable (black) - signifies constancy and the enduring nature of this family.
Symbols on the Morris family crest explained
The rampant lion - represents ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
This communicates the family's fearsome reputation in battle in ancient times.
The fesse dancetty (wavy line) - represents water and is likely a connection to early family members successful pursuits over water or command at sea.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Morris family name
The earliest known origin of the name Morris is in England the 12th century, when it was used as a first name by the Normans.
The name is thought to be derived from the Old French word moor, meaning dark-skinned.
The name Morris is also found in the English, Scottish, and Irish surnames Morris and Morrison.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Morris family and the Morris family crest
- The Morris family name is derived from the Old French word "moer," meaning "dark-skinned."
- The first recorded use of the Morris surname in England was in the year 1273, when one William de Morrys was listed in the "Hundred Rolls of Oxfordshire."
- The Morris family name is of Anglo-Saxon origin.
- The family also has origins in Devon, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
- The name Morris is derived from the Old English personal name Maurice.
- The Morris family name was first found in Worcestershire.
- The Morris family name is associated with the Norman Conquest of England.
- The first Morris family coat of arms was granted to a Worcestershire family in the 13th century.
- The Morris family name is also found in Scotland and Ireland.
- The Morris family name is associated with the ancient Celtic tribe of the Brigantes.
- The Morris family were early settlers in the New World colonies of Virginia and Massachusetts.
- The first Morris family members to come to America were William and Mary Morris, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1773. They were followed by their son John in 1774, and their daughter Elizabeth in 1776. The family settled in Virginia.
Regular price From $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD