O Connell Family Crest
Colors on the O Connell family crest explained
Argent (silver) -signifies the O'Connell family's reputation for peacefulness and sincerity.
Vert (green) - symbolizes family members loyalty in love and hope for the future
Symbols on the O Connell family crest explained
The stag - symbolizes how the O'Connell family are people of a peaceful and harmonious nature. Those who will not fight unless provoked.
The three trefoil symbol - represents ever-lasting qualities. A symbol with connections to ancient Ireland.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the O Connell family name
The earliest known origin of the name O'Connell is Irish.
The name is derived from the Gaelic name O'Conaill, which means "son of Conall".
Conall was a popular name among early Irish kings and chieftains, and was the name of several early Irish saints. The name means 'strong'.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the O Connell family and the O Connell family crest
- The O'Connell surname is derived from the Irish Gaelic name Conall, meaning "strong as a wolf."
- The name first appears in Irish history in the 9th century, when the O'Connell clan was one of the four principal clans of the kingdom of Munster.
- The O'Connell clan is thought to have descended from early saints.
- The O'Connells were powerful rulers in Munster for centuries, and the name is still associated with the province today.
- The O'Connells are one of the oldest and most prominent families in Ireland, with a history dating back to the 5th century.
- The O'Connells have produced several notable figures in Irish history, including The Liberator Daniel O'Connell, who helped bring about Catholic Emancipation in the early 19th century.
- The O'Connells have also been involved in politics and government throughout the centuries, with several members serving as prominent politicians in Ireland.
- The O'Connells are a large and widespread family, with members living in Ireland, the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, and New Zealand.
- The O'Connells have a strong sense of family and community, and are known for their loyalty and support of one another.
The name was first brought to North America by Irish immigrants in the 1600s.
- The O'Connell family was one of the first families to settle in the Boston area of Massachusetts.
- The family name has been spelled many different ways over the years, including O'Connell, O'Connel, O'Connelly, and Connell.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale