O Malley family crest
Colors on the O'Malley family crest explained
Argent (silver) - is a symbol of peace and sincerity and represents the importance of these values to the O'Malley family.
Or (Gold) - signifies the historical generosity of the ancient O'Malley family.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of the O'Malley family in Celtic Ireland.
Symbols on the O'Malley family crest explained
The red boar - symolizes the fierce warrior history of the O'Malleys and a willingness of family members to fight against adversity until death.
The ship - represents adventure and signifies the adventurous spirit of the O'Malley family as well as their superior skills at sea.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the O'Malley family name
The earliest known origin of the family name O'Malley is from County Mayo in Ireland.
The name is derived from the Irish Gaelic word "mathghamhain", meaning "chief of the warriors".
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the O'Malley family and the O'Malley family crest
- The O'Malley family were one of the most powerful families in Ireland during the 12th and 13th centuries.
- They held the title of "The Lords of Mayo" and were known for their fierce fighting abilities.
- The O'Malley's were also great maritime explorers and were responsible for the discovery of Iceland.
- The O'Malley clan is one of the ancient families of Ireland, with a documented history going back over 1,000 years.
- The family name is most common in the Irish counties of Mayo and Galway.
- The clan takes its name from its founder, 'Maolmhuaidh', who was a grandson of Niall of the Nine Hostages.
- The O'Malleys were traditionally a sea-faring people, and were particularly known for their skill as pirates.
- In the 16th century, the O'Malleys were one of the few Irish clans to successfully resist the English conquest of Ireland.
- After the war, the O'Malleys were dispossessed of their lands by the English and were forced to live as outlaws.
- In 1641, the O'Malleys rose up in rebellion against the English, but were defeated and their lands were confiscated once again.
- The first officially recorded O'Malley in America was Patrick O'Malley, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1803, although some were likely there before this date.
- The O'Malley family has since spread across the United States based on the family's strong reputation for hard work and patriotism.
- The highest concentrations in the states of Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, and Illinois.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale