Powell Family Crest
Colors on the Powell family crest explained
Argent (silver) - is a symbol of peace and sincerity. Two values that were incredibly important to the Powells.
Or (Gold) - signifies the historical generosity of the Powell family.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Powells when called upon in times of war.
Sable (black) - symbolises constancy and the enduring nature of this family.
Symbols on the Powell family crest explained
The two Lions - represents ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
The six boar heads - symolizes a fierce warrior history and a willingness of Powell family members to fight against adversity until death.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Powell family name
The name Powell is believed to originate from the Welsh word "ap-Hywel", meaning "son of Hywel",
The name Hywel comes from the name of 10th century Welsh king who brought law to the area.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Powell family and the Powell family crest
- Howell was a popular given name in medieval Wales.
- The first officially recorded use of the name was in the 12th century, when a man named Hywel ap Powell was mentioned in a document from Wales.
- The Powell name has been spelled variously over the years, including "Poule", "Poole", and "Powel".
- The Powell family has its roots in the Anglo-Norman aristocracy.
- The Powell family coat of arms is one of the oldest and most recognizable in Wales.
- Early settlers with the name were first found in Monmouthshire (Welsh: Sir Fynwy), a county in southeast Wales, bordered by England to the east, the Bristol Channel to the south, the River Wye to the west, and the River Severn to the north.
- Over the centuries, the Powell family name has been associated with the Welsh nobility, and has produced several notable individuals, including the 16th century poet Glyn Powell.
- Like many families from the UK and Ireland, they began emigrating in the late 1600-1700s
- The Powell family first settled in the colony of Virginia in the 1700s.
Today, Powell is thought to be a relatively common Welsh name, and is also found in England and Ireland.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per