Richardson family crest
Colors on the Richardson family crest explained
Argent (silver) - signifies the peaceful and sincere nature of the Richardson family.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Azure (blue) - represents the Richardson family's loyalty and truthful nature.
Symbols on the Richardson family crest explained
The ship - represents adventure and signifies the adventurous spirit of the Richardson family.
The bull - sybolizes valour and bravery alongside a giving nature of family members.
The saltire cross on the shield - represents the crucifixion of Christ and stands as a connection to the early Richardson family members strong religious beliefs.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Richardson family name
The Richardson family name is derived from the Old English word "ric" meaning "ruler" and "hæd" meaning "hardy, brave".
The name was originally given to a person who was a strong and courageous leader.
The 'son' element refers to someone who was the 'son of a brave or strong leader'.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Richardson family and the Richardson family crest
- The first recorded use of the Richardson surname dates back to the 12th century.
- The name was introduced to England by the Normans in the eleventh century. It was initially spelled Ritchard, but became Richardson as it became Anglicized.
- The Richardson family has a long and rich history dating back to the Norman Conquest of England in 1066.
- The Richardson family was first found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from very early times.
- The family has produced many notable individuals throughout the centuries, including two Lord Mayors of London and a Lord Chief Justice of England.
- The Richardson family were lords of the manor of Little Cumbrae in Scotland from the 14th century until the 18th century.
- The Richardson Baronetcy was created in 1628 for Sir William Richardson, a London merchant.
- The Richardson family name was first found in America in the 1600s.
- The first known Richardson ancestor in America was John Richardson, who emigrated from England to the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1635.
- The family quickly spread across the United States and established themselves as a much respected family.
- Today, all Richardsons can still proudly trace their origins back to ancient England.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per