Rivera family crest
Colors on the Rivera family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents peacefulness and sincerity, two values that the Rivera family hold close.
Gules (red) - represents martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Rivera family when needed in times of war.
Symbols on the Rivera family crest explained
The waved lines across the shield - represents water and is likely a connection to early Rivera family members origins as a family that lived near a water body and their home in such an area.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Rivera family name
The earliest known origin of the Rivera family name is from Spain.
The name is derived from the Spanish word "riva" meaning "riverbank" or "shore".
The Rivera family were likely fishermen or farmers who lived near a river.
The name Rivera is also found in Italy and Portugal.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Rivera family and the Rivera family crest
- The Rivera family name is of Spanish origin.
- The Rivera family name in Spain can be traced back to the region of Galicia in the northwest of the country.
- The first recorded instance of the name was in the 13th century, when a man named Rivera was documented as living in the village of San Cipriano de Riveria.
- The name is believed to have been in use from much earlier than the 13th century but was not yet officially recorded.
- The Rivera family were nobles in the Spanish court.
- The family was associated with the ruling family of Spain, the House of Borbon.
- The Rivera family owned large estates in Spain in the middle ages and was one of the most powerful families in the country.
- The Rivera family were involved in many political intrigues in the middle ages which brought much conflict to the family, both politically and in battle.
- The Rivera family were exiled from Spain in the late 18th century and many settled in Mexico in the early 19th century.
- The first recorded Rivera in America was Francisco Rivera, who arrived in New Orleans in 1781.
- He was followed by several other Rivera families, who settled in Louisiana, California, Texas, and New York.
- The Riveras were among the early Spanish settlers in America and have been an important part of the Hispanic community in the United States ever since.
- Over the centuries, the family name has been spelled in a variety of ways, including Rivero, Riviera, and Rivas.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per