Robert Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Robert family crest
Argent (silver) - represents the Robert family reputation for sincerity and peace.
Azure (blue) - signifies this Robert family's truthfulness and loyalty.
Sable (black) - symbolises constancy and the enduring nature of this family.
Meaning of the symbols on the Robert family crest
The three black stars - symbolizes the noble and good qualities of family members, It also represents the belief in additional divine characteristics granted from a higher power in ancient times.
The Chevron shape - signifies the Robert family home and the safety that it has provided through the ages. This symbol represents the importance of the family dwelling for all Robert family members.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Robert family name
The family name Robert is derived from the given name Robert, which in turn comes from the Old Germanic name Hrodebert, which means "bright with glory".
The name was first introduced to England by the Normans in the eleventh century. It was initially only used by the nobility, but eventually became more common among the general population.
The popularity of the name Robert in England continued throughout the medieval period and into the modern era.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Robert family and the Robert family crest
- The first recorded Robert in England was Robert of Wessex, who was recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086.
- The Robert family name was later established in England by Sir Robert de Bruce, who was granted lands in Yorkshire by King Edward III in 1327.
- The Robert family name continued to be associated with Yorkshire for many generations.
- There is some evidence that a version of the name existed in England even earlier than the 11th century, with suggestions that one Scald Robert, who was a Danish Viking settled in England in the 10th century.
- The name Robert was also borne by two English kings, Robert I (ruled 1066-1087) and Robert II (ruled 1377-1399).
- The first Robert family in America is believed to have been Huguenots who settled in Virginia in the 1600s.
- The Robert family was one of the first families to settle in the Virginia colony, and they were among the founders of the town of Williamsburg. The family name has been associated with Williamsburg ever since.
- The Roberts were also active in the American Revolution, and several members of the family served in the Continental Army.
- After the war, many of the family moved to Kentucky, where they established large plantations.
- The Roberts family continued to be prominent in American politics and society well into the 20th century.
- The Robert name remains popular in North America today with all family members able to trace their roots back to medieval England and Europe.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale