Russell Family Crest
Colors on the Russell family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents peacefulness and sincerity. These are two of the main characteristics of the Russell family.
Sable (black) - signifies constancy and the enduring nature of the Russell family.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of the Russells
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and historic military strength of the Russells when called upon.
Symbols on the Russell family crest explained
The three shells - represent early Russell family members journey to far away regions and a historic strong command over war at sea.
The lion - represents ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
The goat - symbolises wisdom and the successful pursuit of wisdom by Russell family members.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Russell family name
The name Russell is derived from the Old French word "roussel" meaning "red-haired".
The name was likely introduced to England by the Normans.
The name Russell is also thought to be of Scottish origin, derived from the Gaelic "ruadh" meaning "red".
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Russell family and the Russell family crest
- The first officially recorded use of the name was in England in the Domesday Book of 1086.
- The first recorded use of the name in Scotland was in the 13th century.
- The name is derived from the Old French word "roussel" meaning "red-haired".
- The Russell family were originally from Normandy, France.
- The first members of the family to settle in England were Norman knights who came over with William the Conqueror in 1066.
- The Russell family were granted lands in Suffolk and Norfolk by William the Conqueror.
- The family later moved to Wales and Scotland.
- The early Russell family produced several notable members including John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford (1486-1555), Francis Russell, 2nd Earl of Bedford (1527-1585) and Bertrand Russell (1872-1970).
- The Russell family name has been in America since the early 1600s when John Russell came over from England.
- The name has been associated with several notable people throughout American history, including Paul Russell (a Revolutionary War hero), George Russell (an early settler of Kentucky), and Levi Russell (a pioneer in the American West).
- The name continues to be popular in the United States today and the Russell family continue to have a legacy of positivity and success in many States.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale