Stewart Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Stewart family crest
Argent (silver) - represents the sincerity of Stewart family members.
Gules (red) - symbolizes this family's historic military strength when called upon, known as the martyrs color.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the generous nature of this much respected family.
Meaning of the symbols on the Stewart family crest
Three lions rampant - represents the ferociousness, bravery and valour of the Stewart family during times of war in the middle ages.
'Vair' pattern in blue and white - symbolizes the furs often worn by high born subjects and royalty in ancient times, with a likely connection to the preferred clothing of early family members.
Click here to purchase the Stewart family crest
Origins of the Stewart family name
The Stewart surname is derived from the given name 'Stewart', which in turn is itself derived from the Old English word spelled 'stiweard', meaning a form of "caretaker."
The Stewart family history can be traced back to Alexander Stewart, the 4th High Steward of Scotland, 1214, who was the first appointed 'steward' of Scotland to take the name as a surname.
The Stewarts were a powerful and influential family in Scotland for many centuries, holding the position of High Steward of Scotland from the 12th century until the 18th century, and also serving as Earls, Lords, and Kings of Scotland.
For a more detailed history, Click here to see our crest & history products
Summary of the Stewart family and the Stewart family crest
- The Stewart family is of Scottish origin.
- The Stewarts are a Scottish clan that descends from a family that fought alongside William the Conqueror during the Norman Conquest of England in the year of 1066.
- The Stewarts first rose to general prominence in the country in the 13th century under the leadership of James I, who was the first Stewart king of Scotland.
- The Stewart family continued to rule Scotland until the reign of James VI, who also became the king of England in the year 1603.
- The Stewarts were largely a Catholic clan and have traditionally been supportive of the Catholic Church in Scotland since the middle ages.
- The first Stewart officially recorded as having come to America was a man named John Stewart, who arrived in ~1685.
- The Stewarts were among the first settlers of the early colonies of the modern state of Virginia.
- The Stewarts were also among the early family settlers of Kentucky.
The Stewarts have been in America for over 300 years.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USD
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD