Taylor Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Taylor family crest
Sable (black) - symbolises constancy and the enduring nature of the Taylors.
Argent (silver) - symbolizes the sincerity and peacefulness of Taylor family members.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Taylors when called upon
Meaning of the symbols on the Taylor family crest
The three lions - represent ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
The single black strip upon which the lions rest is known as a Pale, and is considered to be an 'ordinary' (a type of design) of honor.
Click here to purchase the Taylor family crest
Origins of the Taylor family name
The name was originally a occupational name for someone who cut logs into lumber or fabrics into clothing.
The name was first found in England in the 12th century.
For a more detailed history, Click here to see our crest & history products
Summary of the Taylor family and the Taylor family crest
- The Taylor family name is of Anglo-Saxon origin and comes from the Old French word "taillour," meaning "tailor."
- The first recorded use of the Taylor surname dates back to 1185.
- Typically associated with the occupation of tailoring, this name has a long history in the earliest of professions from medieval times.
- The family name is also associated with the word "taylor," meaning "to cut."
- The Taylor family name is thought to have originated in the county of Lancashire in England.
- It is thought that this historic family name is one of the oldest surnames in England.
- Widespread use of the name was first seen around the year 1248.
- Yorkshire in England was one of the first regions to witness the wide spread use of this family name.
- The first recorded use of the Taylor family name in Scotland is thought to be in the 13th century.
- The name is also found in Ireland, where it is thought to have been introduced by Anglo-Norman settlers in the 12th century.
- The Taylor name is also found in the United States, where it is thought to have been introduced by English settlers in the 17th century.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale