Thomas family crest
Colors on the Thomas family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the values of sincerity and peacefulness, two things that the Thomas family valued greatly.
Sable (black) - symbolizes constancy and the enduring nature of the Thomas family.
Symbols on the Thomas family crest explained
The ravens - represents God's protective power and the spirituality of nature.
The fesse dancetty (wavy line) - represents water and is likely a connection to early Thomas family members successful pursuits over seas or command at sea.
The two spears - are a symbol of ancient knighthood and represents the honor of early Thomas family members.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Thomas family name
The earliest known origin of the family name Thomas is from before the 12th century in England.
It is thought to be derived from the given name Thomas, which is of Greek origin and means "twin".
The meaning stems from the belief of some that it was borne by the twin brother of Jesus Christ in the New Testament.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Thomas family and the Thomas family crest
- The Thomas family name continues to be one of the most popular family names in England and the United States.
- The Thomas surname is thought to be of Norman origin.
- The Thomas family held a number of high-ranking positions in English society, and they were also one of the most powerful families in England during the medieval period.
- They held a number of estates in England, including the manor of Wolverton in Somerset.
- The family name was first found in Suffolk in England where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
- The first officially recorded use of the name was in 1185, when Walter Thomas was recorded in the "Pipe Rolls of Suffolk".
- The Thomas name continued to be found in Suffolk throughout the Middle Ages.
- The first recorded Thomas in America was Captain Thomas Lee, who arrived in Jamestown, Virginia in 1607.
- Since then, the Thomas family name has been associated with many notable individuals in American history, including presidents, senators, and military leaders.
- Today, all Thomas family members in the United States and internationally can still trace their earliest roots back to medieval England.
Regular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $169.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per