Wallace Family Crest
Meaning of the colors on the Wallace family crest
Argent (silver) - signifies peace and sincerity and symbolizes the Wallace family's reputation for such.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and historic military strength of the Wallace family when called upon.
Meaning of the symbols on the Wallace family crest
The Lion - represents ferociousness, bravery and valour, one of the most desirable family crest symbols.
The Lion on the Wallace crest symbolizes the family's warrior roots and fearsome reputation in wars since ancient times.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Wallace family name
The Wallace surname is derived from the Old French word "waleis," meaning "foreigner" or "Welshman." but the name is widely considered to be of Scottish association.
The name was originally given to people who came from Wales or who had Welsh ancestry.
The Wallace family played an important role in Scottish history and is still strongly associated with the region.
William Wallace was a Scottish patriot who fought against English rule in the 13th century. He is one of the most famous Scottish heroes and his story was made into the 1995 film, "Braveheart."
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Wallace family and the Wallace family crest
- The first recorded use of the name Wallace was in Scotland and England in the 12th century.
- The first recorded spelling of the Wallace surname in Scotland was found in the Exchequer Rolls of 1296, during the reign of King John Balliol of Scotland, 1292-1296.
- The Wallace family originally came from the area around the village of Ellerslie in Ayrshire, Scotland.
- The Wallace clan is a member of the Scottish Clan Confederation.
- The most famous member of the Wallace family is William Wallace, the Scottish patriot who fought against English rule in the late 13th century.
- Sir William Wallace was captured and executed by the English in 1305.
- The Wallace family crest features a red lion rampant on a red background.
- The Wallace family tartan is predominantly red, yellow and green.
- The first Wallace to arrive in America was also called William Wallace, who arrived in 1623.
- In America, the Wallace family has a long history of military service, dating back to the American Revolution.
- The Wallace family is one of the oldest and most respected families in America
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per