Welch family crest
Colors on the Welch family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the peaceful and sincere nature of the Welch family.
Or (Gold) - signifies the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Azure (blue) - represents the Welch family's loyalty and truthful nature.
Gules (red) - symbolizes martyrdom and the historic military strength of the Welch family when called upon
Symbols on the Welch family crest explained
The six stars - symbolizes the noble and good qualities of Welch family members, It also represents additional divine characteristics granted from a higher power.
The spotted stag - symbolizes how the Welch family were people of a peaceful and harmonious nature. Those who will not fight unless provoked.
The 'chequy' border pattern - represents constancy and the enduring nature of this ancient family and its members.
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the Welch family name
The Welch family name is thought to have originated in Wales, with the first recorded use of the name being in the 12th century.
The name is thought to be derived from the Welsh word for "foreigner" or "stranger".
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the Welch family and the Welch family crest
- The name Welch is of English and Welsh origin.
- It is derived from the Old English word wealh, meaning "foreigner" or "stranger".
- The name was first used in the 12th century.
- The Welch family name was first found in Denbighshire (Welsh: Sir Ddinbych), a historic county in northeastern Wales, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
- The Welch family were one of the many families of Welsh nobility who settled in the country during this time period.
- The name became common in medieval England and also through the middle ages.
- By the 14th century, the name was used more broadly in Wales.
- The name was also found in Ireland from this time onwards in history.
- The name Welch is also a variant spelling of the Scottish name Wallace.
- The Welch family were one of the first families to settle in America, with the first recorded use of the name in the New World being in 1620.
- The family has since spread across America, with members of the Welch family becoming prominent in politics, business and the arts.
- The Welch family name has been associated with Wales and America for centuries and is sure to continue to be so for many years to come.
Regular price From $29.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $85.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $179.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price From $39.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$45.00 USDSale price From $39.00 USD