West family crest
Colors on the West family crest explained
Argent (silver) - represents the values of sincerity and peacefulness, two things which were of great importance to the West family.
Or (Gold) - symbolizes the historical generosity of this ancient family.
Sable (black) - symbolizes constancy and the enduring nature of this family.
Symbols on the West family crest explained
The fesse dancetty (wavy line) - represents water and is likely a connection to early West family members successful pursuits over seas or command at sea.
The three leopard heads - signifies valiance and a hardened warrior past. It represents those who approach challenges with courage.
The crown and griffin - represents bravery and the death-defying nature of ancient West family members
Click to purchase this family crest or browse other family crest offers.
Origins of the West family name
The earliest known origin of the family name West is from the Old English word referring to "western." Meaning someone who comes from the western parts of the English countryside.
For a more detailed history, see our crest & history products
Summary of the West family and the West family crest
- The first recorded use of the name was in the Domesday Book of 1086, which was a survey of England and Wales.
- The name is believed to be of Anglo-Saxon origin, derived from the Old English word west, meaning "west" or "western".
- The West family were originally from the west of England, in the counties of Devon and Cornwall.
- The surname West is also found in Scotland, where it is thought to be of Norman French origin.
- The West family were once one of the most powerful and influential families in England.
- The family's fortunes changed in the 13th century when they sided with the losing side in the civil war between King Henry III and his barons.
- The family's estates were confiscated and they were forced into exile.
- The family eventually regained their lands and status, and were prominent in English politics and society throughout the 14th and 15th centuries.
- The West family produced several notable figures, including explorers, politicians, and military leaders.
- The first West family in America was Joseph and Priscilla West, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1630.
- They had eight children, all of whom married and had families of their own.
- The West family was one of the first families to settle in the New England colonies, and their descendants have lived in the United States ever since.
Shop our bestsellers
Research + Family Crest PrintRegular price From $24.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$29.00 USDSale price From $24.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest Digital File PackRegular price $33.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$39.00 USDSale price $33.00 USDSale
Research + Crest & History PrintRegular price From $49.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$60.00 USDSale price From $49.00 USDSale
Research + Family Crest PlaqueRegular price $159.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
$199.00 USDSale price $159.00 USDSale